Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Veni, Vidi, Vici" Tattoo

The famous words of Julius Caesar meaning "I came, I saw, I conquered".  I have seen and heard it often , but it struck me deeper today. I woke, feeling slightly vacant. There could have been many reasons for this,  maybe the hunger pangs, short sleep,  social troubles or the firing of Carlo Ancelotti (now former coach of my beloved Chelsea).  This phrase was among a few others that I am debating  getting a tattoo of.  I thought this  morning, Caesar,  I know just the basics about the man and my super active brain began contemplating what his exact thought was as he uttered this phrase. Was it just a method of encouragement ? self assurance or even prophetic?  To me, it seemed a phrase to be uttered on one's death bed (if we are as lucky). laying there  looking back  on the life lived as the end approaches, perhaps with some or none of our sense.  Did we really "come" or just exist?  did we  really "see" or just look? did we really "conquer" or just finish? How  does one go about answering such questions with all the impossible and varying analysis that come with it?
 So I brought the words home and began to wonder  what they truly  meant to me,  a 21 year old still finding her way to personal identity. Is there a criteria or level  for me to " come, see and conquer"  right now? will this criteria be the same when I am not so young?  if I do not make it to a complete and peaceful death bed am I removed or exempt from  " coming, seeing and conquering"  accomplished column?  What about the personal, social, political, economical and religious paths I walk each day are they adding to the notion?  More importantly is this to be evaluated from the view of the world or my view?  Then I realized that it is a combination of both.  Of course the world's take and view is overwhelming,  which sometimes means I  mistake them for mine. 
 But it hit me that even-though I am no emperor, "wisdom" is my "coming" "understanding" is my "seeing" and "knowledge" is my "conquering".  doing all i can to Know and learn , everyday, about my world physically, emotionally, intimately and expansively in all aspects, marks the difference and significance with which I live life.  And yes, I realize the irony, of this revelation coming from the idea of a tattoo. But that tattoo now holds a daily reminder for me.