Saturday, July 9, 2011

Females In Sports

So my friend Carissa and her boyfriend Invited me out to a football game. Her coworker was playing. But this was a league for women (WFA) and we were cheering on the Chicago Force! Yes the rugged, rough and hard hitting game of american football was being played by women!
and I realized that women Team sports are hardly paid attention to.
we ocassionaly have the volleyball games, swimming and such during the Olympics and then Mostly tennis, which my friend noted was the only sport where the men playing and the women playing are considered equal, and gender or sexuality played no role. wow so true!
But that's definitely not the case with the other contact sports
Basketball worked and got their women's league (WNBA) but games are very rarely televised.
yet alone Women's football. and the other "football" (soccer) does also get minimal coverage.
I don't know if there's even a hockey or rugby team for women except in colleges.
and some of the women who play these sports are marginalized for thier masculinity and sexuality
A.K.A Being Lesbians.
while that holds some truth, who is to say there are no Gay men playing in the NFL, NBA, NHL.
but those get the Up most exposure and interest. why can't the women do the same?
do people just not care about female sports?
why is it so common world wide?
Is there no money In having female leagues or broadcasting their games?
As a Straight Woman I do love the NBA, NHL and NFL, but would like to be given a chance to catch their female counter parts on my TV and weigh it out. Then again maybe I should just support my Local female teams and leave it at that.
I know I had fun cheering on the Force, even though they got stuffed 40 something to 20 something